If you are venturing to try out the latest Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 release then you may be looking for as much information regarding this release as you can. There is too much information available to condense into a single post so here are a few links to help get you started:
Links & Downloads
- Visual Studio Home – this is the official Visual Studio home page. You will be able to view information specific to each SKU, as well as download the latest beta, once the site is updated (hopefully tomorrow).
- Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 can be downloaded from the MSDN Subscribers download site. General availability is expected to start on Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 on the Microsoft Downloads site.
- Team Foundation Installation Guide for Visual Studio Team System 2010 – use this link to download the CHM file for the TFS installation guide (beta 1 and 2 guides are currently available). This guide is also included in the Team Foundation Server 2010 download (in the root folder).
- Compare the various Visual Studio 2010 SKUs here.
If you’re going to be running Visual Studio 2010 side-by-side with older clients and/or Team Foundation Servers (e.g. 2005 and/or 2008) then there are some compatibility issues that you will need to take into account. This blog post covers these in great detail.
Along with the Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 announcement came details regarding the new SKUs that will be available. Brian Harry has posted some highlights regarding these changes. Buck Hodges has also posted a few details here.
Here are some links to miscellaneous posts and videos regarding some of the new Visual Studio 2010 features:
- Team Foundation Server 2010 Key Concepts
- TFS 2010 for SourceSafe Users
- TFS 2010 Project Management
- TFS 2010 Work Item Tracking
- TFS 2010 Admin, Operations & Setup Improvements
- Where is TFS Basic?
- Setting up Offline help/Docs in Visual Studio 2010 Beta2
- VS 2010 Beta 2 Debugger In-Depth First Look
- VS 2010 Beta 2 IntelliTrace In-Depth First Look
- VS 2010 Beta 2 Code Analysis In-Depth First Look
- VS 2010 Beta 2 Sampling and Instrumentation Profiling In Depth First Look
- VS 2010 Beta 2 Concurrency Resource Profiling In Depth First Look
- Downloading and Installing Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 – a Channel 9 video.
BLOGs to Watch
If you happen to discover any issues (i.e. bugs) with Visual Studio, please report them on Microsoft Connect. This is the site where you can search for existing issues, create new issues, and follow them as they move through Microsoft’s development life cycle.