TFVC vs. TF-Git Survey Results

Several weeks ago I posted a survey asking for your thoughts about Team Foundation Version Control (TFVC) vs. Git within Team Foundation Server/Service (TF-Git). With a total of 27 respondents, here are the results of the survey questions:

Which version of Team Foundation Server are you using?

image

I have to admit that I find it interesting that 45% of the respondents are using Team Foundation Service. It would be interesting to see if this statistic holds with a larger group of TFS customers.

What is your primary version control repository?

image

In this case, about 70% are using TFVC with the remaining 30% using Git. This will be an interesting statistic to follow over the next few years as Git gains popularity, and capabilities, within TFS.

If you are using TFVC now, do you plan to use TF-Git in the future?

image

About a third of those currently using TFVC plan to use TF-Git in the future. Which, if that turns out to be the case, the above chart essentially reverses itself.

Comments

There were quite a few comments left along with the survey questions and rather than repeat them all in the post, I’ll simply refer you to the survey results if you would like to take a closer look.

Although I would have liked to have had a larger set of responses, I still feel like I’ve learned a couple of things with this exercise:

  1. There is a lot of interest in using Microsoft’s cloud offering for TFS (Team Foundation Service).
  2. Although TFVC is still more popular than TF-Git, I suspect TF-Git will gain popularity once some of the concerns are handled (e.g. better integration within Visual Studio/TFS, developer training, etc.).

I will plan to run this survey again 12 to 18 months from now just to see how things have progressed (in either direction).

ContactUs.com

TFVC vs. TF-Git Survey Results

by Jeff Bramwell time to read: 1 min
1