With the Windows Phone Store now exceeding 200,000 apps, it’s no surprise that it’s getting easier to find the most of the popular apps from competitor’s ecosystems. Although there are many ways to categorize available apps, I like to think of them all as loosely fitting within one of three categories:
- Consumer apps – these are the everyday apps that you might use such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, etc.
- Enterprise apps – these are the apps that you are likely to use in a business-oriented situation such as at work or while traveling for business. Examples might include e-mail clients, airline-specific apps, office productivity apps, etc.
- Games – this is a pretty obvious category and includes a wide array of apps built for entertainment.
In this post, I’d like to point out ten enterprise apps (in no particular order) that you might, or might not be aware of. If you own a Windows Phone, one of these apps just might make your life a little easier :-)
- 2X Client (2X Software LLC) – Seamless and secure remote desktop and application access from your Windows Phone device! Whenever you want, wherever you are!
- AirWatch MDM Agent (AirWatch, LLC) – The AirWatch MDM agent is a device management solution that enables you to secure, monitor, manage and support your entire fleet of smartphones, including Windows Phone 8.0. This app assumes you are utilizing the AirWatch MDM solution to manage mobile access to your network services.
- Cisco WebEx Meetings (Cisco) – With Cisco WebEx Meetings, join any web conference right from your Windows Phone 8 smartphone.
- DocuSign Ink (DocuSign, Inc.) – With DocuSign for Windows Phone, you can electronically sign, send and store documents from anywhere at anytime. DocuSign is safe, secure and legally binding. You’ll finish tasks faster and go completely paperless – no more printing, faxing, scanning or overnighting.
- Good (Good Technology, Inc.) – Good for Enterprise™ delivers secure mobile collaboration and device management for Windows Phone devices. With Good for Enterprise, employees securely access corporate email, attachments, contacts, and calendar.
- GoToMeeting (Citrix) – Join or start a meeting in seconds. View slide presentations, design mockups, spreadsheets, reports – whatever meeting presenters choose to share onscreen and communicate over the built-in internet audio or phone conference.
- Lync 2013 (Microsoft Corporation) – Lync 2013 (or Lync 2010) for Windows Phone extends the power of Lync to your mobile device – including rich presence, instant messaging, audio conferencing, and calling features from a single, easy-to-use interface.
- Office 365 Admin (Microsoft Corporation) – access Office 365 service status on the go.
- Office Remote (Microsoft Research) – control Microsoft Office apps remotely with your phone. Includes “laser pointer” for PowerPoint. I personally love this app for presentations!
- Yammer (Microsoft Corporation) – Yammer is the best-in-class enterprise social network that makes your job easier and more productive. It brings together employees, content, conversation, and business data in a single convenient location, keeping you connected to the people and information you need to get work done.
Note that I did not include Microsoft Office in the list above. This is simply because the various Office apps are included by default with all Windows Phones (which is awesome, by the way!).